Off the Map: Exploring Uncharted Areas of Life


I've been trying a lot of new things this weekend: running outside, a new church (probably not going back) and a new-ish way to get to New York. And while trying all of these experiences, I kept calling back to my past, and how much I miss it. 

I miss running on the high-tech Curve treadmills at the gym at school; I miss going to my campus ministry for spiritual guidance. I even miss the PATH train, which was the bane of my existence last summer. I missed it all.

I'll be the first person to tell you I am a creature of habit. I seek comfort in the same, the everyday and new experiences aren't always that fun for me. And I know some of you feel the same.

Despite all my wishing to be back at school, at student ministry or on the PATH, I know that some of the best things happen in unfamiliar territory. That's where I found my amazing study abroad experiences and got to meet people that I still know and love. At one point even the things I know as familiar (treadmill, ministry, PATH) were scary and new and unfamiliar. 

So as I navigate this summer and the upcoming fall, dealing with exploring all kinds of uncharted territories, I have to remember that just because it's new, doesn't mean it's bad, and just because it's an uncharted area of life, doesn't mean I can't explore.
0




0 comments: