The Value of Being Uncool

Let's face it. From the day we understand the social hierarchy we are born into, we want to be cool. Think back to middle school (I know, its cringe worthy). If you were anything like most people I knew, myself included, you just wanted to be cool. From having the "right friends" to having the "right stuff", that's the stuff that completely suffocated most of us through middle and even high school.

When I finally got to college, and after I survived sorority recruitment, I just wanted to be me. I didn't want to spend all the time wondering if I had the right friends or stuff or ideas. I wanted to be me. While I love my friends from middle and high school (and I would never change our friendships), I especially love my friends that I've made here, simply because none of us care about being "cool". Staying in because we are tired? Tumbling and sharing the weirdest jokes? All fair game with my friends. We love each other for who we are, not who we are trying to be and I urge each and every one of y'all to find these relationships. 


I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman said it best in Almost Famous, "The only true currency we have in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool". 


0




0 comments: